2003 Honda Recon ES ATV
For 2003, Honda offers two versions of the best-selling mid-size ATV. The Recon ES features Honda's revolutionary Electric Shift Program (ESP), while the Recon retains the traditional foot-shift gear change.
Features & Benefits
New for 2003
• New Yellow color.
• ES model features ESP(tm) (Electric Shift Program) for push-button upshifting and downshifting. The rider shifts simply and precisely with the press of the upshift or downshift button mounted on the left handlebar. An onboard electronic control module (ECM) monitors information from four sensors--engine rpm, countershaft speed, gear position, and shift spindle angle--to control the speed of the electric shift motor's gear and clutch engagement. Gear engagement speed varies according to rider style: The transmission shifts more quickly when riding style turns sporty. A neutral lockout at speeds greater than 2 mph ensures available engine braking when descending hills. To ensure smooth shifting, the transmission cannot be shifted from neutral to first gear or reverse gear at engine speeds above 3000 rpm. ESP is not battery-dependent, operating whenever the engine is running. Should the rider ever need to shift manually, the Recon(r) ES is also equipped with an auxiliary shift lever in the tool kit.
• Both the Recon ES and Recon feature the high-performance cylinder head from the Sportrax(tm) 250EX for increased performance.
• An oil cooler is standard equipment on both Recon ES and Recon models, assuring optimal engine temperatures under difficult operating conditions.
• The Recon ES has uniquely designed floorboards, which allow the rider's feet to grip the footrests while keeping mud and debris away from the rider's feet.
• The Recon ES features a gear indicator along with neutral and reverse lights.
• Lightweight, OHV air-cooled 229cc engine is longitudinally mounted to allow direct drive-shaft alignment to rear wheels for fewer frictional losses.
• 22mm carburetor with light throttle control offers good engine response and excellent fuel economy.
• Overhead-valve design offers a wide, easy-to-use powerband and compact engine dimensions.
• Closed crankcase vent system safeguards against engine oil contamination.
• Rubber-cushion engine mounting reduces vibration.
• USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler is constructed of stainless steel.
• Automatic cam-chain tensioner reduces maintenance.
• Convenient electric starter with auxiliary recoil starter.
• Wet sump with 1.6-quart capacity.
• CD ignition system with electronic advance features an rpm limiter for added durability.
• Five-speed transmission with reverse and automatic clutch on the Recon.
• Lightweight double-cradle steel chassis.
• Maintenance-free shaft drive routes power directly from the longitudinally mounted engine without inefficient directional changes.
• Independent double-wishbone front suspension gives 5.1 inches of travel.
• Steel swingarm and single rear shock absorber give 4.9 inches of travel.
• Dual sealed front hydraulic drum brakes and sealed mechanical rear drum.
• Tires feature aggressive tread patterns for excellent traction.
• Ergonomically designed seating and control layouts provide a comfortable operating position for a wide range of rider sizes.
• Large cargo racks front and rear allow payloads of 33 and 66 pounds respectively.
• Large, lightweight plastic fuel tank with 2.4-gallon capacity.
• Snorkel-type air intake system is specially designed for water crossings.
• Storage compartment has 6.2-liter capacity.
• Dual-headlight system with 25-watt lights.
• Maintenance-free battery.
• Powerful, 123-watt AC generator.
• Reusable foam air filter.
• Neutral and reverse lights on Recon model.
• Durable, comfortable, easy-to-use controls.
• Keyed ignition switch for added security.
• Easy-to-use parking brake.
• Standard tool kit includes a tire pressure gauge.
• G.V.W.R. is 816 pounds for TRX250TE / 807 pounds for TRX250TM.
• Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
• Transferable six-month limited warranty.
• Ownership includes one-year complimentary Membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America(tm). Benefits include discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance and much more. For HRCA(r) details, call 1-800-847-HRCA.
• Flag kit.
• Trailer hitch.
• Model: TRX250TE (with ESP) / TRX250TM
• Engine Type: 229cc air-cooled OHV longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
• Bore and Stroke: 68.5mm x 62.2mm
• Carburetion: 22mm
• Ignition: CD with electronic advance
• Starter: Electric with auxiliary recoil
• Clutch: Automatic
• Transmission: ESP five-speed with reverse (TRX250TE) / Five-speed with reverse (TRX250TM)
• Driveline: Direct rear drive-shaft
• Suspension Front: Independent double-wishbone; 5.1 inches travel
• Suspension Rear: Swingarm with single shock; 4.9 inches travel
• Brakes Front: Dual sealed hydraulic drum
• Brakes Rear: Sealed mechanical drum
• Tires Front: 22 x 7-11
• Tires Rear: 22 x 10-9
• Length: 70.6 inches
• Width: 40.7 inches
• Height: 41.5 inches
• Seat Height: 30.6 inches
• Ground Clearance: 6.0 inches
• Wheelbase: 44.5 inches
• Turning Radius: 8.5 feet
• Dry Weight: 414 pounds (TRX250TE) / 406 pounds (TRX250TM)
• Fuel Capacity: 2.4 gallons, including 0.6-gallon reserve
• Colors: Red, Olive, Yellow
Recommended for riders 16 years of age and older.